IPv6 will not replace IPv4 since IPv6 was designed to cater for many deployment scenarios, starting with extension of the packet technology and therefore supporting IPv4 with transition models to keep IPv4 working even for ever; and then to cater for new uses and new models that require a combination of features that were not tightly designed or scalable in IPv4 like IP mobility, end-to-end connectivity, end-to-end services, ad hoc services; to the extreme scenario where IP becomes a commodity service enabling lowest cost deployment of large scale sensor networks, RFID, IP in the car, to any imaginable scenario where networking adds value to commodity. This is called sustainable growth of the Internet and progress to the new generation Internet.
Key points to be highlighted at this e-Telecom Briefing:
- The IPv4 Address space is depleting way too fast, with just 11% of address capacity remaining
- 90% of the address space was used to connect just 20% of the world population. The remaining 80% need more address space, hence IPv6
- All new interactive two-way Internet applications need the end-to-end model to function properly
- Many features have been built into IPv6, including security, auto-config, multicast, and mobility. In addition to those, another two dozen features are still to be discovered by engineers to allow them to re-think the Internet model from an end-to-end perspective, especially in the security area
- Many new challenges will be brought on due to the slow and unprofessional adoption of IPv6, mainly in the security area. Hackers will again be smarter than the IP engineers with the adoption of IPv6.
- Worldwide adoption is lopsided. Asia has led the way and the Western world is dragging its feet.
- Governments worldwide are working towards the adoption of IPv6 for good reasons. Industry needs to see profit from this plumbing exercise.
- President, IPv6 FORUM (www.ipv6forum.org )
- Chair, European IPv6 Task Force (www.ipv6.eu )
- Emeritus Trustee, Internet Society - ISOC (www.isoc.org)
- IPv6 Ready & Enabled Logos Program Board (www.ipv6ready.org)
- World summit Award Board Member (www.wsis-award.org )
- Senior Researcher @ University of Luxembourg on multiple European Commission Next Generation Technologies IST Projects:
- Member of 3GPP PCG (www.3gpp.org)
- Member of 3GPP2 PCG (www.3gpp2.org)
- Vice Chair, IEEE ComSoc EntNET
- Member of UN Strategy Council
- Member of IEC Executive Committee
- Board Member of TSF (“Technologies Sans Frontières”)
- Board member of AW2I
- Board Member of Nii Quaynor Institute for Research in Africa
- Member of Future Internet Forum EU Member States (representing Luxembourg)
- Luxembourg, July 2009